What is a Remote Job?
A remote job is like having a regular office job, but you can do it from anywhere (usually at home).
You would be a full- or part-time employee of a company, working from your computer. Some remote jobs allow you a flexible schedule and freedom to travel, while others have strict work hours and/or require you to live in a specific country or time zone.
You’d typically get paid a salary.
A remote job is one of 19 types of online business and considered a Level 2 online business, according to our framework.
6 Levels and 19 Types of Online Business
Level 1 = Novice
Okay for side income or beer money, but hard to earn a living.
Level 2 = Intermediate
Best for earning a living online when you’re starting out, but hard to scale.
Level 3 = Advanced
Easier to scale and higher income potential, but you usually need significant investment of time and/or money upfront.
Level 4 = Superior
Even more scalable and even higher income potential, but also more complex / difficult / expensive.
Level 5 = Distinguished
Most complex / difficult / expensive, but the rewards here can be massive.
Level X = Wildcard
These are the misfits. Many aren’t even considered businesses in the traditional sense, but they are all ways to make money online. You typically need a lot of time, money, or luck to succeed with anything here.
How can you make money online with a remote job?
Again, it’s pretty much like having a regular office job, but you would be working from your laptop at home or at your favorite cafe.
Here are some people we’ve profiled with remote jobs…
- Remote Accountant
- $40k – $71k estimated annual salary
- Remote Health Coach
- $32k – $67k estimated annual salary
- Remote Senior IT Architect
- $96k – $152k estimated annual salary
- Remote Customer Support Specialist
- $24k – $47k estimated annual salary
- Remote Executive Assistant
- $35k – $70k estimated annual salary
- Remote Customer Success Manager
- $41k – $104k estimated annual salary
- Remote Junior Graphic Designer
- $33k – $66k estimated annual salary
- Remote Senior Product Manager
- $74k – $132k estimated annual salary
- Remote Software Engineer
- $63k – $134k estimated annual salary
How to Find Remote Jobs?
We’ve spent 100+ hours researching and reviewing remote job boards.
Here are the best remote job boards to find a remote job fast.
🏆 Best Remote Job Boards 🏆
Pros and Cons of a Remote Job
- Steady income.
- Employer may offer good benefits (health insurance, paid time off, etc.).
- Less stress and responsibility than running your own business. Usually no need to manage admin, accounts, etc.
- Many remote jobs give you the opportunity to develop your skills, so you essentially get paid to improve.
- Growing in popularity: more companies open to hiring remote nowadays.
- Finding a great remote job may take weeks or months of searching. Similar to finding a great offline job.
- The best remote jobs usually require you to have advanced skills or lots of experience.
- With a full-time remote job you have one primary income source. So if you get laid off, your income drops to zero.
- Hard to increase your income quickly, no matter how good your performance.
- You have a boss.
Is a remote job a good way to earn a living online?
For many people, yes.
A remote job provides many of the advantages of a regular job but there’s no commute and you don’t have all the responsibilities that come with building and running your own business.