- Gaming YouTuber
- $4.85 million estimated monthly revenue
How does PewDiePie make money online?
Felix Kjellberg, popularly known as PewDiePie, is a Swedish YouTuber and gamer. He is primarily well-known for his Let’s Play videos and comedy-centric gaming videos.
As of this writing, he is the most subscribed solo YouTuber with 100+ million subscribers, and a significant chunk of his earnings come from YouTube ad revenue.
However, in the video below, it is revealed that he also earns money online in other ways, including:
- Affiliate marketing (affiliate links to Amazon in his video descriptions)
- Selling PewDiePie merchandise (shirts, sweaters, hats, etc.)
- Video sponsors (NordVPN, Happy Socks, Lootcrate, Gfuel, etc)
- Live streaming (YouTube pays him to do this exclusively on their platform).
The goal of our Online Money Maker profiles is to show you all the different ways people make money online. We strive to ensure that each profile is realistic – no hype, no scams – so you can see what it really takes to build each type of business.
If you'd like to hear when we publish new profiles, subscribe to our free weekly newsletter below. Each edition is packed with tips, insights and opportunities to build your online business. We send it out every Friday to 7,610 legendary subscribers.
How much does PewDiePie make a year?
In the above video from October 2019, it is estimated that PewDiePie earns a total of $58.2 million per year, which works out to $4.85 million per month, or $160,000 per day.
- $1.6 million per month from YouTube ads
- $2.75 million per month from merchandise
- $500k per month from affiliate marketing and brand deals
Forbes reported in December 2019 that PewDiePie makes $13 million a year from YouTube, but it’s unclear if that number includes income aside from ad revenue.
Finally, Business Insider reported in 2019 that PewDiePie earns $3,319 per minute of YouTube video.
Our goal at eBiz Facts is to give you accurate information about online business so you can gain clearer insights, make better decisions, and achieve your own success.
With that in mind, we strive to ensure the accuracy and transparency of the income claims and estimates that you see on this website.
- We treat all income claims we find online with skepticism.
- We don’t report incomes that seem especially controversial or unrealistic.
- We cite our sources and/or share our calculations so you can see where the numbers come from.
- If there are uncertainties about an income claim or estimate, we tell you what those are.
If you see an income claim or estimate that seems off, please tell us so we can fix it.
How did PewDiePie get started?
Felix (PewDiePie) has an interesting story of how he became a YouTuber. His passion for video games led him to drop out of Chalmers University in Sweden. He is reported to have said:
Life is too short to focus on the things you hate, focus on what you love instead.
In the video below PewDiePie talks about his journey and struggles:
Some key insights from that:
- He created his YouTube channel in 2010 while still in school.
- He pursued a degree in Industrial Economics at university but later dropped out.
- To earn money and support his passion for YouTube, Felix sold his artworks and worked at a hot dog stand.
- By December 2011, he had gained 60,000 subscribers and quit his job at the hot dog stand.
- In 2012, he started the ‘Fridays with PewDiePie’ vlog series and reached his first million subscribers.
- In 2015, PewDiePie also released a satirical self-help book called “This Book Loves You”.
- As of this writing, PewDiePie has 100+ million subscribers and 25+ billion views on YouTube.
What kind of online business does PewDiePie have?
Felix runs a multifaceted online business.
According to our framework it can be broken down like this:
- Authority (Level 4)
PewDiePie primarily runs an authority business, as evidenced by his massive following on YouTube.
- Physical Products (Level 4)
PewDiePie sells branded merch online.
Follow the links above for more info and examples for each type of business.
Other ways to make money online
There are many other ways to make money online, to work from home or anywhere in the world.