eBiz Weekly is a free newsletter packed with tips, insights and opportunities to build your online business. We send it out every Friday to 4,520 legendary subscribers. We also post the content of each email here on the website.
- Uncharted Waters
- A good time to teach English online
- Teach other subjects online
- Tap your existing network
- Reach out to past clients
- 588 Remote Jobs
- How To Learn Any Skill For Free
- Ideas + inspiration for your online biz
- 3 ways to save money
Writing to you from Dubai International Airport 🇦🇪 on a stopover en route to Tbilisi, Georgia 🇬🇪
I was due to spend another ~3 weeks in Bali but decided to move things forward given the coronavirus situation (Indonesia does not seem well-equipped to handle an outbreak).
I think we all know by now how serious this pandemic is 😔
If not, please educate yourself:
- Coronavirus Primer for Reasonably Rational People
- Sam Harris podcast with a public health expert
- Joe Rogan podcast with an expert in infectious diseases
- Johns Hopkins coronavirus resource center
Bottom line: we all need to change our behavior to help stop the spread of this disease and limit the impact.
Personally, I’ll be holed up in an Airbnb in Tbilisi for the next four weeks, and I strongly suggest that you also practice “social distancing” as much as possible.
While this whole thing really sucks, here are some ways we can make the most of it as online business builders…
A good time to teach English online
Two comments from this recent Reddit post caught my attention:
My friend that does online TEFL teaching for a Chinese company said he’s getting a ton more work because kids are staying at home.
I teach English online to Chinese students and I’ve definitely seen an increase in bookings since the outbreak. Teachers are getting booked way more and especially for hours outside of the regular peak times. […] Since the student isn’t in school, he’s supplementing with an online class.
If you’d like to teach English online yourself, this article has a good list of sites to start with.
Expect to earn $10-23 per hour 👍
Teach other subjects online
Schools are closing in many countries around the world, so there’s a good chance other online tutoring jobs will see increased demand.
Check out these sites for opportunities in math, science, economics, and more:
Tap your existing network
If you have an existing skillset, use the Billboard Method to remind your network what it is that you do.
Lots of people are going to be stuck at home in the coming weeks. Many will likely start new projects. You want to be top of mind should they need your services.
You could post something like this to your Facebook:
I’m staying home for the next couple of weeks to help keep coronavirus at bay.
As you know, I help [niche] to [get results] by [offer].
I have a bit of free time now that I’m stuck at home so if you need help with a project drop me a PM and let’s discuss.
Or if you know any good people who might be interested in my services, send ‘em my way!
That third line comes from the consulting course I reviewed recently.
Some examples so you get the idea:
- I help accountants to get more customers by doing Facebook ads and funnels.
- I help online stores to increase profits by improving their conversion rates.
- I help teens ace their math exams by teaching them online.
- I help 30-somethings to change careers via a proven 5-week process I’ve developed.
It’s good to be specific like that, but don’t worry too much about it.
Better to post something broad than nothing at all.
Reach out to past clients
Your past clients might also be using this strange time to finish up some old projects or get moving on some new ones.
Shoot them a quick email along these lines:
I hope you and your family are staying safe during these uncertain times.
Just wanted to drop you a quick message in case you’re working from home and looking to get ahead on some projects.
I have more availability than expected so let me know if there’s anything I can help with.
588 Remote Jobs
This could also be a good time to knuckle down and find yourself a remote job.
Dynamite Jobs might be my favorite site for that. They’ve got a few hundred remote jobs listed right now.
How To Learn Any Skill For Free
If you’re not earning online, you should be learning online.
A few weeks ago I was researching a bunch of websites that offer online courses, and found that you can learn almost anything by taking advantage of all their free offerings.
Here’s the sequence I’d recommend:
- Take the free Learning How To Learn course on Coursera
That will help you make the most of every subsequent course.
- Decide what skill you’re going to learn
This 3-step skill selection process and this list of the best paying freelance jobs will help you choose.
- Look for free courses related to that skill on Udacity
Start with Udacity since it has very high-quality courses and many of them are free (use the free courses filter to see them).
- Look for free courses related to that skill on Coursera and Udemy
Both platforms have a selection of free courses and you can go through them at your own pace. (Search for a topic on Udemy then use the free filter.)
- Sign up for free trials of Skillshare and Linkedin Learning and take relevant courses
Skillshare offers a 2-month free trial. LinkedIn Learning offers one month. During the trials you can take as many courses as you like.
- Fill in the gaps with Google and YouTube
Anything that’s not covered in courses on the aforementioned platforms, you should be able to find via Google and YouTube.
All that said, keep in mind that paid courses are generally more in-depth and high-quality than free courses. I like to start with free courses, then invest in a paid course when I’m ready to get serious and accelerate my learning.
You can see the top 5 paid courses I’ve reviewed on this page, along with a few other handy resources for online business.
Ideas + inspiration for your online biz
If you have no idea what kind of online business you’d like to build, now would be a good time to figure it out.
Beyond that, these resources will get your wheels turning:
- Profit Hunt – a list of profitable online projects
- Products by Indie Hackers – use the filters on the left to find some cool stuff
- 88 of the Biggest Earners on Patreon (And What They’re Selling)
- Starter Story – not exclusively online businesses but still lots of good stuff there
- eBiz Facts: 34 Surprising Ways People Make Money Online
- eBiz Facts: Interviews with online money makers
3 ways to save money
Finally, now is a good time to get your finances in order.
Consider cancelling upcoming travel plans and getting refunds while you still can, because coronavirus ain’t going away any time soon 😕
You can also take inventory of your financial situation and cancel any recurring payments you don’t need.
And keep an eye out for companies running promotions in the coming days and weeks.
- Basecamp are offering to refund the full price of their book about working remotely
- Loom have cut prices and removed limits on their video/screencast software
- TechSmith are offering a couple of products similar to Loom absolutely free
- Vox reports that Microsoft, Google and Zoom also have free offerings
- To keep yourself healthy at home, all of Down Dog’s fitness apps are free until April 1st
- If you know of any other good offers, please share in the comments.
Probably the best way to save money here is to check the software you’re already paying for and see if those companies are running any special offers right now.
That’ll do it for this week.
Please do take precautions to stay safe, no matter where you are. Three weeks ago Italy was very relaxed about the coronavirus, and now the whole country is on lockdown.
Feel free to forward this email to a friend, or you can direct them to the online version here: https://ebizfacts.com/ebiz-weekly-62/
In case you missed em, here are the last three editions of eBiz Weekly:
- #61 – Sam Ovens Review + February Finance Report
- #60 – 20 years old, traveling the world, $12k/month online
- #59 – One video monetized 8 different ways
- Full archive
Until next week, rock on with your legendary self 💪
Niall Doherty – Dubai International Aiport, UAE
By the way...
Check out our collection of the best tools and resources for building an online business. Web hosting, email marketing, productivity, top-rated courses, etc.
Travel Hacker’s Toolkit
Our top recommendations for digital nomads: cheap flights, avoiding jet lag, booking accommodation, a travel-friendly credit card, a free VPN, etc.
Start Earning Online
A free crash course to help you build an online business, consists of 11 videos shot in Spain, Russia and Montenegro.
Freedom Business Builder
FBB is a private community of online business builders. Our 300+ members range from people just starting their first online businesses, to experienced online entrepreneurs earning thousands of dollars each month.