eBiz Weekly is a free newsletter packed with tips, insights and opportunities to build your online business. We send it out every Friday to 3,823 legendary subscribers. We also post the content of each email here on the website.
- Gardening website earning $50,000+ per month
- $500 for writing the same word 100 times
- 1,920 Remote Jobs
- Fake Client Briefs
- 18,514 Startup Ideas
- Earning $328 per hour on Fiverr
- Next level podcast recommendation
- Script for raising your rate with existing clients
- Starting a custom sock store in 5 days
Gardening website earning $50,000+ per month
By far the most popular item in last week’s newsletter was my curated list of affiliate marketing websites 🔥
Yesterday I added six new examples to the list:
- Epic Gardening – $50,000+ per month
- Groovy Marketing – $17,134 per month
- The Wirecutter – sold for $30 million
- Kayak Help – $1,972 per month
- Expert Photography – $80,000 per month
- Just A Girl And Her Blog – $39,832 per month
$500 for writing the same word 100 times
A random dude with 3,000 followers tweeted on Wednesday:
for $5 i will write “yikes” under one of your ex’s selfies
Apparently more than 100 people have taken him up on the offer so far 🤯
(Some of them also pay for poetry and cover art.)
1,920 Remote Jobs
Remote work is booming and the opportunities are endless:
- 584 remote gigs listed on Indeed.com
- 440 companies hiring remotely in October (Google Sheet)
- 896 startups hiring remotely (Google Sheet)
Fake Client Briefs
…a website to help you practice logo design, UX, web design, graphic design and illustration. Press ‘start’ and a random design brief will be generated so you can practice your design skills and fill your portfolio, working for fake businesses.
Cool idea, but if you’re looking to gain experience and build your portfolio, first try asking real businesses if you can work for them at a discount rate.
Failing that, offer to work for free.
Because when you work with a real business, you also get to practice client communication, handling feedback, etc. And it can lead to more work and referrals down the line.
18,514 Startup Ideas
Many of the ideas on this massive list could be executed remotely.
A few I picked out while scrolling through:
- Design plans to be safe and to be compliant with the American Disabilities Act.
- Organize the adoption of unclaimed animals.
- Schedule and confirm patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries, or medical consultations.
- Contact property owners and advertise services to solicit property sales listings.
- Negotiate contracts with such service providers and suppliers as hotels, convention centers, and speakers.
- Monitor emerging trends regarding industry regulations to determine potential impacts on organizational processes.
- Write and present reports of research findings.
Earning $328 per hour on Fiverr
So says Mike Nardi in a new video series on YouTube 📹
My notes from skimming the first three videos:
- Started on Fiverr in February, earned only $94 that month.
- Cracked $1,000 in May (ie four months later).
- Last month he earned $2,462 in only 7.5 hours.
- His most popular gig on Fiverr: I will write email marketing and sales emails for your business
Mike writes on Reddit:
Funny enough, when I started raising my prices I started getting more orders. It’s strange but I think there is a breaking point on fiverr that separates buyers who only care about cheap $5 work and people looking to get some real quality.
Next level podcast recommendation
I believe remote work and freelancing are the easiest ways to get started making money online – which explains much of the content I share in these emails – but if you’re eager to go deeper, check out a podcast called Freelance To Founder.
This week I listened to episode 76 with the founder of Scott’s Cheap Flights, an online business which reportedly does $320,000 in monthly revenue.
You’ll find the podcast on all the usual channels 🎧
Script for raising your rate with existing clients
Courtesy of Ramit Sethi:
Hey, I think you’ll agree that since we’ve been working together, I’ve helped you increase profits by X% while simultaneously cutting costs by X% and generating $XXX,XXX in revenue.
I value you as a client and enjoy working for you — but in order for this to make sense for me, I’ll be increasing my rate to $XX an hour moving forward. With more money, I’ll be able to do X and add even more value to the company.
Can we discuss this next week?
The full article has lots more solid tips for raising your rate 📈
Starting a custom sock store in 5 days
In this 19-minute video, a successful ecomm entrepreneur challenges himself to create a new product – 🧦 with your 🐶’s face on them – and start selling it within 5 days.
Great insights into what it takes to build and market an online store in a saturated market.
- Did it all from home.
- Started with research, most important step IMO, but don’t get too caught up in it.
- He utilized a whole bunch of different skills – market analysis, business planning and strategy, graphic design, web design, FB ads, email marketing, etc.
- He invested over $1000 in the store and only made about $60 by the end of the video. Actually not bad.
Those last two points help explain why I recommend starting with freelancing or remote work: less skills and capital required.
Work, waterfalls, big 🦎 in the kitchen… that kinda thing.
That’ll do it for this week.
Was there anything above that you found particularly useful or interesting?
I aim to pack these emails with the best tips, insights and opportunities for building your online business. Your feedback helps me do that.
Also: feel free to forward this email to a friend, or you can direct them to the online version here: https://ebizfacts.com/ebiz-weekly-41/
In case you missed em, here are the last three editions of eBiz Weekly:
- #40 – One of these sites sold for $134 million
- #39 – Review: The Authority Site System
- #38 – $8000/month from a small podcast
- Full archive
Until next week, rock on with your legendary self 💪
Niall Doherty – Ubud, Bali
By the way...
Freedom Business Builder
FBB is a private community of online business builders. Our 300+ members range from people just starting their first online businesses, to experienced online entrepreneurs earning thousands of dollars each month. More info here.
Travel Hacker’s Toolkit
Check out the top resources I recommend for the traveling online business builder. Cheap flights, a jet lag app, free VPN software, and more.
Great Value Courses
My go-to websites when looking to learn or enhance a skill are Coursera, Skillshare and Udemy. They have thousands of courses on many different topics, rated and reviewed so you can easily tell what’s best. Udemy and Coursera are pay-per-course, whereas Skillshare is a subscription model (my preference).
Start Earning Online
Check out our free crash course to help you build an online business, consists of 11 videos shot in Spain, Russia and Montenegro.