eBiz Weekly is a free newsletter packed with tips, insights and opportunities to build your online business. We send it out every Friday to 7,667 legendary subscribers. We also post the content of each email here on the website.
- How a physical therapist earns $4098/month online
- How to charge more for your services (best sales method I’ve seen)
- 10 big companies you can work for remotely
- If you offer freelance services, you need to read this.
- Should you quit your job to start your own business?
- Some honest thoughts on the digital nomad lifestyle (from a dreamy 21-year-old who actually did it)
- Trend to keep an eye on = long tail social media
- 3 things to improve your writing
- For beginners looking to start earning online right away…
How a physical therapist earns $4098/month online
Our newest case study is live, profiling a business that started off as a hobby Instagram account.
I love this case study because the business is in a niche – physical therapy – that you wouldn’t usually associate with earning money online.
Check it out and let me know what you think of the case study format. I’m still experimenting with it, gearing up to do a lot more case studies in future.
How to charge more for your services (best sales method I’ve seen)
There’s a book called SPIN Selling that details a really powerful method for selling high-priced services.
I first read it years ago and I highly recommend it.
But you probably don’t have time to read another book, so here’s a video summarizing the key points.
The video comes from a fellow Irishman – ☘️😊 – who went from selling websites for <$500 to selling them for >$10,000.
Watch it and ask yourself this: if you were to use the SPIN Selling approach with every potential client, what do you think would happen to your business?
(If you like reading my Momentos – like, really really like reading them – you should know that my patrons get to read each edition a few days before everyone else.)
10 big companies you can work for remotely
This list features the likes of Dell, Amazon, Apple, and American Express.
Tons of opportunities there inside and outside the USA.
Tis a great time to own a laptop 💻 😎
And just in case that’s not enough for you, here’s a list of 100 top companies with remote jobs.
If you offer freelance services, you need to read this.
Backlinko recently surveyed 1,200 business owners to better understand the current state of the SEO services industry.
- Small businesses spend an average of $497.16 on SEO services each month —> lots of money to be made in this niche.
- Many of those small businesses are unhappy with the results they’ve gotten from SEO so far —> plenty of opportunities there for capable freelancers.
- 34% of small businesses have left an SEO provider because of poor “customer service / responsiveness.” —> to stand out, reply fast and treat your clients well.
- 78% of US-based small business owners consider their provider’s location a “very” or “extremely” important consideration —> start looking for clients in your local area.
Much of that is likely applicable to any kind of freelance business.
Related to the last bullet, you could try this cold calling script which was fundamental in getting one Redditor earning a consistent $8,000/month:
“Hello my name is Joseph. Is the director of marketing or the business owner available?”
“Well I own a digital marketing agency in the local area and I was calling to see if they were interested in getting more clients for the business, a new website or any type of SEO services to rank you on the first page of Google”
Should you quit your job to start your own business?
Lots of great advice in this article, but especially:
“Don’t quit your job. You’re about to make a lot of mistakes. Trust me. Make mistakes while you still have a salary.”
I personally did not follow that advice, and things worked out fine for me.
But I already had a well-developed skill (web design) and knew that I could always find freelance work to pay the bills.
Still, I wish I had gained some experience freelancing on the side while I still had a job. It would have made the transition much easier.
Some honest thoughts on the digital nomad lifestyle (from a dreamy 21-year-old who actually did it)
Good food for thought in this Reddit post.
DN-ing can be awesome at times!
And I would say for anyone who is mentally healthy, open to new experiences, strongly independent, has a strong safety net and/or has proven financial stability for a few years, you should go for it!
But…………. it’s definitely not for everyone.
He goes on to explain three major issues he found with the digital nomad lifestyle:
1) If you get seriously sick, you could be in big trouble
2) Loneliness is a bigger deal than I could’ve imagined
3) Traveling for long periods can certainly make mental illness worse
That first point really underscores the importance of having insurance.
My recent dengue fever adventure resulted in a $4000 hospital bill, thankfully taken care of by SafetyWing <— highly recommended 👍
Trend to keep an eye on = long tail social media
In [long tail social media], users don’t want to connect with everyone they already know, but instead want to connect with small groups they find really interesting. Similarly, they don’t need access to massive libraries of low-quality content, but instead want access to curated collections covering topics they really care about.
[The old model of social media] requires massive audiences before a given platform becomes useful. The new model does not.
Of course, long tail social media isn’t a new concept, but it seems to be gaining traction.
Which means there’s 💰💰💰 to be made.
The example networks I saw were focused (a couple thousand users at most), and typically charged subscription fees from the users (eliminating the need to sell ads or harvest data).
3 examples of such networks:
- Farnam Street Learning Community —> 750 members paying $149+ per year = $111,750
- LGBTQ Chat —> 5200 members paying $200+ per year = $1,040,000
- World Future Society —> 1800 members paying $200 per year = $360,000
If you’re interested in building your own long tail social media network, you might find this niche generator helpful to get started.
3 things to improve your writing
No matter what kind of work you do online, you need to be able to write well.
These three things will help you do that:
- Infographic: 7 Secrets Of Advanced English Writing
- Article: 6 Quick Ways to Spot (and Remove) BS from Your Website Copy
- Tool: Hemingway App
For beginners looking to start earning online right away…
Check out my free video series: Start Earning Online.
That will help you kickstart your online business.
Two recent reviews:
“The course was very insightful, you really showed that it is possible to get work online just by taking baby steps and putting in a slight bit of time management to upskill fast and efficiently and cut out unnecessary time consumption on leisure activities”
“Great course! Really helped narrow my focus. Especially great for beginners looking to start earning right away!”
That’ll do it for this week.
Was there anything above that you found particularly useful or interesting?
I aim to pack these emails with the best tips, tools and resources for growing your online business. Your feedback helps me do that.
Also: feel free to forward this email to a friend, or you can direct them to the online version here: https://ebizfacts.com/ebiz-weekly-28/
In case you missed em, here are the last three editions of eBiz Weekly:
- #27 – Earn $15 to $40 per hour proofreading and editing
- #26 – Momentos, finance report, and a rare ask
- #25 – This guy sold his online business for $1 million
- Full archive
Until next week, rock on with your legendary self 💪
Niall Doherty – Ubud, Bali
By the way...
How To Make Money Online
A deep article laying out all the possibilities for making money online, based on the 6 levels and 19 types of online business.
Check out our collection of the best tools and resources for building an online business. Web hosting, email marketing, productivity, top-rated courses, etc.
A massive list of FREE Udemy courses to help build your online business. We only list top-rated courses – minimum 50 ratings – and update every 24 hours.
Find A Remote Job
See our list of the best ways to find a remote job, based on 100+ hours of research and testing.
Start Earning Online
A free crash course to help you build an online business, consists of 11 videos shot in Spain, Russia and Montenegro.
Freedom Business Builder
FBB is a private community of online business builders. Our 300+ members range from people just starting their first online businesses, to experienced online entrepreneurs earning thousands of dollars each month.