- Professional Poker Player
- $109,603 prize money from 3 weeks of online poker
- Published August 17, 2020 by Niall Doherty
How does João make money online?
João is a professional poker player. He participates in poker tournaments – both online and offline – and wins prize money if he performs well enough.
Online he plays poker using the nickname Naza114.
This video shows João in action during a live poker tournament:
The goal of our Online Money Maker profiles is to show you all the different ways people make money online. We strive to ensure that each profile is realistic – no hype, no scams – so you can see what it really takes to build each type of business.
If you'd like to hear when we publish new profiles, subscribe to our free weekly newsletter below. Each edition is packed with tips, insights and opportunities to build your online business. We send it out every Friday to 9,981 legendary subscribers.
How much money does João make?
As of this writing, the Hendon Mob poker database list’s João’s “total live earnings” as $3,810,652.
However, for the purposes of this profile I’m focusing on João’s earnings from playing poker online.
The same database shows that João won prize money totalling $109,603 playing in five online poker tournaments during a 3-week stretch in July-August 2020:
Since February 2018, Vieira has been sponsored by the online poker room Winamax (source).
The terms of that sponsorship are unclear. But from what I’ve read online, it seems many pro poker sponsorship deals involve an annual cash payment to the player, a budget for tournament buy-ins, and perhaps even performance bonuses.
Our goal at eBiz Facts is to give you accurate information about online business so you can gain clearer insights, make better decisions, and achieve your own success.
With that in mind, we strive to ensure the accuracy and transparency of the income claims and estimates that you see on this website.
- We treat all income claims we find online with skepticism.
- We don’t report incomes that seem especially controversial or unrealistic.
- We cite our sources and/or share our calculations so you can see where the numbers come from.
- If there are uncertainties about an income claim or estimate, we tell you what those are.
If you see an income claim or estimate that seems off, please tell us so we can fix it.
How did João get started?
- João is a former professional basketball player, having played 7 years for his hometown team in Madeira, Portugal.
- João started playing poker with his basketball teammates, presumably in his mid- to late-teens.
- João then began participating in online tournaments. He had some success with those, and began entering offline tournaments as well.
- In December of 2011, at only 22 years of age, João dropped out of university to work full-time playing poker.
- In August 2012, he won more than $60,000 playing in live poker tournaments in Barcelona (source).
What type of online business does João have?
Other ways to make money online
There are many other ways to make money online, to work from home or anywhere in the world.